oberhaslikid.....can we talk??? questions about canned meat!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickencrazymamahen, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hi, you stated that when meat is on sale that you buy large quantities and then can it. I was wondering if you would be willing to share what/how you can and then how you use them in recipes??

Awesome storage room too!! [​IMG]

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok , When I can meat this is how I do it and have learned to do it from childhood. We were raised on Venison and canned alot of it.
    I Love canned pork so I went and found those western Pork ribs they are almost meat no bone. And cheap on sale.
    I always have clean jars in the dishwasher and pull out the jars and add one tsp. of salt .I like to use season salt.Cut the meat into cubes what ever it may be you can do the same with beef chuck roast or chicken breast. Pack the jars with the raw meat chunks you do not have to add any juice it will make its own juice.leaving 1 inch head space clean your rims very well ,cap your jars and place in pressure canner. I fill the canner with water till it gets 1/3 of the way up the jar and put the lid on and pressure can for 90 min. at 10 lbs.

Now once you have acomplished that then you can try this one.
    I can beef or venison I add 1/2 a can of cream of mushroom soup to the jar then my salt and then pack the rest of the way with raw meat cubes.Can at the same pressure and time and it comes out in its own gravy.

as far as cooking with it I add to veggi soup or make noodles and beef or pork ,and you can make pulled pork of beef BBQ.The chicken I add to Jambalaya,Chicken and noodles,casseroles.Just make gravy on it and serve as the meat for dinner.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. Thank you so much for the information. [​IMG] We have had so many power outages the last few years I have fallen out of love with my freezer. I had tried meatballs and ground chuck, but didn't like the way it turned out after canning. Putting the meats up the way you suggest sounds much better with a lot of options for using them. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me the information. I am especially going to try the mushroom soup with it next time beef roast is on sale, that sounds yummy.

Hopefully some venison will come our way this year too, sounds like it would make some tasty suppers too. Again, thanks for the information, I didn't know how else to get to talk with you! I will put my results on the canning thread when I find some meats on sale. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by