1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

obnoxious little jerks sprung the chickens today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stargazingmommy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Obnoxious little jerks being my ducks. I can't keep them in their pen nor figure out how they are escping.
    I got home from work today and apparently they are teaching the chickens. ALL of them were out. like out out. In the shed next to the chicken coop and run about having a melt down cuz they couldn't get to their food or water.
    in the pick the left side is the fencing stuff, it's buried, and lined with big paving stones (added a couple days ago). The back wall and right wall are the walls of the shed, no way under the edge there(not buried, but its all intact). The fencing stuff goes to the ceiling.
    the gate is the whole front, it's latched, and ws latched.
    No one in the house let them out, hubby and teens know one of or dogs has killed a chick before.
    The fence around the yard is 10 ft, gated with locks, and no holes under it( theres a 3 foot deep trench under the fence filled with cement).
    I can't figure out how they all got out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Is there an opening between the coop and the ceiling from the run?

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:nope. goes clear to the ceiling from the top edge above the side door on the coop. the whole left side of the coop opens, and is latched. the netting goes from above it to the ceiling.

4. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Mine have opened the door before. Your latch makes it harder. Was the latch off?

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Mine push the door and if the latch isn't shut, they push it right open. Could that be a possibility. Or, are they digging and squeezing out perhaps?

6. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:No, I checked for digging, and the latch was on tight when I caught them

7. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:laatched plus hook nd eye at top and bottom
    ll were on

8. Urbanchickenranchers

Urbanchickenranchers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Rochester, MN
    My only explanation is Alien Abduction and transplantation! Anway you can watch them to see how it is happening? Do you think a neighbor is messing with them?

9. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I'll go with aliens. The one neighbor that would actually take the time and energy to jump the fence is a chicken daddy and is my go to person for feeding and watering when I'm gone.. he would climb over the fence if there were something wrong, and Thanks would tell me.
    I still think its the obnoxious little jerks errrr the ducks (or as hubby puts it, the jack@@@ that quacks).

10. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    do you have a photo that shows the entire setup?

the netting looks like a weak point to me, but i don't see any obvious breaks or anything in the pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by