Oboy, I've done it now!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 9, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    I just ordered 100 SR cornish X from mt healthy, got 50 free chicks as well.

$137 total. it says hatch ship date is the 18th so i have a little time to change tractor size if need be before building it.

I want to do it, but im so scared about it, like what if we do it wrong somehow?

We got the plans drawn up for our conduit chicken tractors... but i wanted to get opinions on how big of a space 100 meat birds need( they are not all cockerels)

How long do the cornish x need heat lamps for? i assume less time than normal chicks?

Thanks.

Edit to add the 50 free chicks will be in a separate space from the 100 crx.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Keens2050

Keens2050 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    Our first lot of chickens were cornish cross as well (although we only got 10). I remember reading somewhere that 1 square foot is fine for a bird (when young). So if you had 100 - you would need a 10x10 area. Remember that cornish are usually butchered anywhere around 6-12 weeks. They will get HUGE! If you don't to butcher early (month old) they will get crowded at 100 sq. ft. when full grown.
    Heat lamps - summer if perfect time for getting peeps. Cornish are a breed who have a tendency to huddle together. Depending where you live, they may be fine w/out heat lamp. They'll have each other to keep warm. We got ours in March and some mornings I went out it was only 50 degrees in the barn (even with a heat lamp) and they were fine. These critters are hardy so they should be fine this time of year.
    Good luck!

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    we plan to build two 10x10s . not at the same time but to have one to start with and then at one or two weeks of age build another( spreading out costs just for convennience) uild another just like it.. that gives us an advantage to move them more easily ,having two, and also a chance to try the first one out for a week or two to figure out if anything needs to change to make something easier for us.

i would like to think iwouldnt have to have them in rooders, but im going to. i have a wooden ox i can put probably 30 in for 2 weeks and i can buy tubs. then add the lights as my other brooder lights are eing used right now. then when they feather, i can move them outside.

How fast do you think they feather? 2 weeks?

4. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    ugh my b button has a crumb under it [​IMG]

5. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    we live in VT so we kept light on them for 1st week, only at night (they were in the husbands shed) the second week and by 3 wks not at all. we have 32 birds and the other nights 50 deg. weather didn't phase them at all. (they are completely closed in) We also give ours a bit of apple cider vinegar in their water. they say it helps to feather faster, digest better, prevent worms, and allow their bodies to absorb the nutrients better...so i said hey! why not? at a bit over 3 wks they are only waiting for a few butt feathers and on the top of their heads. best advise i can give...don't build heavy...we learned the hard way! Good Luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  6. Keens2050

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    The Cornish metamorphasize so quickly from peeps to feathered beasts! I didn't keep track but they were getting tail feathers at about a week and serious feather coverage by the end of their first month! They are ravenous gluttons so be prepared to feed them because they grow at unbelievable rates!

7. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Thank you! I really appreciate the advice!

we get our feed in 80# bags and have chick starter and broiler already so when they arrive ill already have what i need, ill just have to add to it when i get low.

Ive read ( and asked) how much they eat, and was told about 20-22 pounds of feed per Bird across 8 weeks.

2200 pounds of just broiler im going on.. this should be an over estimate since im not even going to figure chick starter. (28 bags) im thinking $500 [​IMG] is that RIGHT? LOL

8. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Im just going by memory here, so I may be way off. But I think I read that they gain 1lb of meat per 2.5lbs of feed. So if you want a 5 lb bird you will use 12.5lbs of feed. So 100 birds @ 5lbs would be 500lbs x 2.5 would be 1250lbs of feed. Unless I'm just brain dead today......

9. Keens2050

Jul 24, 2010
    Narvon, PA
    We were going thru 50# bags in about 10 days weeks for 10 birds (.5 lb feed/day per bird). That's when I would also let them free range (until the day they destroyed my hostas!). I would also supplement their diet with cooked spaghetti (they loved it!), stale bread, etc. Now we're done with them - butchered them at 3 months (they were HUGE!). Now we only have 9 wyandottes who are delicate eaters compared to Cornish.

10. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    after 3 weeks i recomend pulling their feed at night. Keeping them a bit hungry keeps them active and gives their bodies a little time to catch up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by