1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Obscure Ideas? Post 'em here!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gmendoza, Oct 14, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    This is for posting obscure ideas only. I would lik to see everyones obscure dreams and see if I am not the only psychopath around these parts. [​IMG]

Here is my obscure idea: Raising Iguanas for meat [​IMG]

Iguana ham, iguana sausages and smoked iguana ...yum yum. [​IMG]

I think it could work,somewhere.......someday...... [​IMG]

Your thoughts?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't know that PETA would let that happen here, but you might get away with it in a 3rd world country... [​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Iguanas taste just fine. It's hard to raise them since they don't always live in high densities and the feed to growth ratio is not like other livestock raised for food------perhaps if you bred for specific traits? After all the cornish rock breeds of chickens look/act/grow nothing like their ancestral jungle fowl. Perhaps you could breed for replacement lizard tails, so you could "harvest" meat without killing the livestock, kind of like harvesting stone crab claws.

My obscure idea: Planting enough permaculture fruit, nut, & berries to eat year round in combination with a annual garden and chicken arrangement---------Oh, wait, that's not obscure, that's just paranoid survivalist to live thru the upcoming 2nd great depression and Zombie Apocalypse.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Iguanas taste just fine. It's hard to raise them since they don't always live in high densities and the feed to growth ratio is not like other livestock raised for food------perhaps if you bred for specific traits? After all the cornish rock breeds of chickens look/act/grow nothing like their ancestral jungle fowl.

My obscure idea: Planting enough permaculture fruit, nut, & berries to eat year round in combination with a annual garden and chicken arrangement---------Oh, wait, that's not obscure, that's just paranoid survivalist to live thru the upcoming 2nd great depression and Zombie Apocalypse.

[​IMG] Zombie Apocalypse! [​IMG]

Not such an obscure idea.We have grapefruit,lemon,and tangerene trees growing,and pecan,grapes,and blackberries growing too.But also we have Mugwort growing( just in case beer becomes scarce) and our annual garden (we are going to grow thru winter this year as a trial) and chickens,ducks,guineas,bantams,quail,silkies,turkeys.

We do have dark cornish bulldogs we hope to breed next early spring for our "meaties".

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:THey already do this in many countries. You can even pick out the live iguana you'd like to eat, like we do with lobsters. Of course, it's not a terribly large amount of iguanas they raise, but it is usually enough for their restuarants!

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    how about trained attack squirrels? we could put them to use in war zones they could carry small loads of ammo,bombs.... they are too light to trigger IEDs . I also thought of if we could train penguins to fish for us and bring us the fish...

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Mentioning P*** is against the rules. (#14) This is the USofA, not the USofP***. Nuff said.

gmendoza, if you wanted to raise and eat iguana go for it. I'm not sure you'd have much of a market for it to sell, unless you were in a populated area where people migrated that may enjoy it. I know I'd love to try it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by