1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

obscure Q about baling hay (lg squares)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by patandchickens, Jan 15, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I keep wondering this. I could wait til I talk to my hay guy next, i.e. prolly not til Aug or Sept, or I can figure that there's gotta be someone here who does their own hay or is familiar enough with doing large square bales to be able to cure my curiosity [​IMG]

These large squares (6-700 lbs) are mostly done with blue baler twine. However, here and there are sections of orange twine spliced in -- just like 2' long. I assume this has something to do with joining two rolls of the baler twine, but why have the orange spliced in, why not connect blue to blue *directly*?

I realize this is not earthshaking but everytime I open one of 'those' bales it drives me crazy, wondering [​IMG]

Thanks for any help,

Pat

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    All of ours has orange baling twine. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, all mine for the past 2 yrs has been all-orange, it's not the color as such, I am just curious about why the short sections spliced in?

Pat

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    We buy and sell hay for a living. My guess would be that they color code it for different strength twine. Our main farmer always uses orange twine and then we have another farmer who uses blue and his bales are much heavier.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I'm just guessing that the baler probably uses twine from multiple spools to bind a bale. For whatever reason he just happened to have two different color spools installed when he did those bales.

6. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

this is no help at all but what we buy has green twine

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    When they were baling they might have had a problem with the twine breaking. And were just taking it off of a different roll to splice it together to get it going again.
    The balers have areas to store extra rolls of twine and instead of opening a new roll they might have been using what they already had opened.

8. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    We also bale big squares for a living - but ours run in the 1200 lb range. We use the blue because it is a heavier gauge. My guess is like the one above. He uses the orange just to splice or when he had knotter trouble is my guess. Sometimes the knotter skips and the twine breaks. Just my two cents!

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:This is my answer, too.

10. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Quote:This is my answer, too.

My answer also. When Sam bales the hay, its usually orange twine, but every once and a while he ends up getting blue twine. Its just run out, and thats where the next color comes up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by