Observation: worms cause insanity

KDH

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Northeast Ohio
'Least, that's a conclusion I came to this morning. It's gotten much warmer here, and there was a small worm on the sidewalk. I thought to myself, "self, I'll bet the chicks would find this interesting." They're a week and a half old now, been on chick crumbles, but in the last several days I've been dropping a couple sunflower seed bits or cracked corn in the brooder for them to root around and scratch for. Figured a worm would be a logical and easy evolution to this. I picked up the worm and transported it to the basement, where the chicks are.

So, I reached over the brooder, and dropped the worm, wondering if it would be there in some dried up form when I got home from work. Well, the little worm didn't even get a chance to hit the bedding before 22 GLW chicks took leave of their senses and went insane. Never have I seen such a spectacle! I actually felt bad for the worm. Or what was left of it.

I believe I have found a new toy for the chickies.
smile.png

**Runs outside in my PJ's in search of wormies!** Never mind that the sun isn't even up yet! Never mind that it's butt kicking cold outside and any self respecting worm is probably still 3 feet underground. I just gotta find worms for my babies!!!
gig.gif

Quote:
Snork! Our snow is all melting and we actually have mud which means worms. After this morning's adventure, I'm going to mill around and collect some of the little buggers, stick them in a jar with some dirt, and dole them out to my peeps. Before I do that, however, I'll put the kids in the "play room" (about a 10x10 area of the basement I have cordoned off so they can move around a little bit more than they can in the brooder) because each peep that grabbed a bit of worm ran - with everyone in pursuit. Would be better for them to have more room...
smile.png

Ha! I've been worried about brooding mine in a basement area that has some large roaches from time to time. Guess I need not worry. Sounds like after a week or two a roach wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in ...

Quote:
***Little light bulb goes off in head*** "Heeeeyyy... who needs an exterminator when you have chickens??

Back
Top Bottom