obsess with me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    One of my chickens started laying this week. I've gotten four eggs in the last 6 days from this chicken.

I was assuming it was my white leghorn, but yesterday and today's egg don't seem nearly as white as the store bought eggs. Can there be variations in white, or should I be suspecting one of my 20 week old EE?

Here's one shot where the color difference seems obvious:

[​IMG]
    The egg on the left is a store bought egg.

Here's another shot though, with three of her eggs mixed in with the store bought eggs (I've underlined the homegrown ones with blue).
    [​IMG]

So what do you think? 24 week old white leghorn, or 20 week old EE?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Ee [​IMG]

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it's your EE. I have a BL Polish and a Black Minorca, they're my only white egg layers and their eggs are both slightly different. The Minorca's egg is almost translucent white and the Polish is a bit creamy colored.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:huh...that's really interesting! I guess wait and see to find out for sure then! [​IMG]

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:huh...that's really interesting! I guess wait and see to find out for sure then! [​IMG]

I guess it's probably good to say that both birds are also hatchery stock, so who knows what's in their ancestry to make them lay off white eggs? [​IMG] The Minorcas eggs are big and thick but almost see through because they're so white!

I've never heard of and EE laying a white egg, that's the other reason I'd be skeptical about whether or not it's hers. Though, EE's genetic background can be more colorful than a rainbow so who's to say they couldn't!

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

I guess it's probably good to say that both birds are also hatchery stock, so who knows what's in their ancestry to make them lay off white eggs? [​IMG] The Minorcas eggs are big and thick but almost see through because they're so white!

I've never heard of and EE laying a white egg, that's the other reason I'd be skeptical about whether or not it's hers. Though, EE's genetic background can be more colorful than a rainbow so who's to say they couldn't!

Yeah, I've seen them lay just about every other color imagineable, and one of mine lays a super light tan egg, that's why I assumed... [​IMG] Never know with those EEs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by