n
m
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
I have a red laying hen who I just noticed was sleeping standing up in the brush in our yard. She is slow moving and not very peppy. Didn't protest at all when my son picked her up. Upon inspection, she has wetness around her butt and a piece of what looked like egg membrane hanging out of her butt. I gently pulled the membrane out and she fluffed herself up and walked away a few steps and then pooped a watery, raw egg like liquid. IS this a broken egg inside her? My son and his friend were chasing the girls yesterday trying to catch them. Could this have been the cause? I have 6 red hens and only got 5 eggs this morning. Everyone usually gives me an egg almost every day and everyone's shells are good and strong.
Its getting chilly here in Nova Scotia at night and we haven't put the plexiglass inserts in the barn windows yet. Should I bring her in tonight to sleep? Should I let her wander around outside right now? She isn't staying with her flock but is hanging out with all this summers babies and the unpopular banty rooster. Mostly she is sleeping.

If it is a broken egg, what should I do?

I love my chickens but I hate it when something goes wrong. I just feel so helpless and clueless.

You did just fine. She had a broken egg and that happens. The boys shouldn't chase them though not because it will cause broken eggs but because it will stress out the hens and they may stop laying for a while.

No need for special treatment in my opinion. Just keep an eye on her for a few days to make sure her next egg is good.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom