1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Occasional sneeze, otherwise fine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kara_leigh, May 10, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I have had my chicks for a week now. They are 4 and 5 weeks old, all purchased from the same farm and were in the same pen. The smallest one, 4wks, for the past couple of days now, has had an occasional sneeze. Otherwise he/she seems fine. Eating normally, pooping normally, everything else is normal. No runny nose, no crusties, nothing. He/she is kinda timid, and every so often will find a nice place to sit down and will sit there for a few minutes watching the other chicks, but then will get back up and is back to normal activity. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I thought I'd mention it. Preening like normal, also. He/she definitely has enough pep to make me chase him/her forever at night to put them back in their brooder. HATES being touched.

Should I be worried? Maybe it's not even a sneeze that I'm hearing, who knows.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be dust from the feed that's making the chick sneeze. I'd just keep an eye on them for any additional sneezing. Sounds like everything is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by