Occasional sneezing silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by matchook7, Nov 15, 2014.

1. matchook7

matchook7 New Egg

May 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Hi I know there are heaps of threads about this but doing my head in trying to read all posts So here goes.....I bought 4 silkies 3 weeks ago and put them in quarantine in a coop with dirt/sandy floor The next day I heard a tiny sneeze like sound from one or two birds Three weeks later still the occasional sneeze sound and still in quarantine Been checking like a hawk for nose/eye discharge and breathing problems - nothing Have been wormed and treated for lice Eating and drinking normal Everything else normal They do flick their heads a bit but think that is because of numerous flies (Australia) When I check them at night all perching and quiet My questions are.......If they are going to get sick would that have happened by now? Can I put them with the rest of my silkies? How long should I quarantine them for? Is there any natural treatment that might help? Any help would be appreciated Thank you

2. mrs buff laced

mrs buff laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    Now I don't live some where cool like Australia but we have a lot of wind here so the occasional sneeze is no worry.... but since you have a dirt/sandy floor on there pen may just be blowing some dirt into there face and making them sneeze.... I wouldn't be this sure except that you have been watching them (day and night is what it sounds like) and there no signs of illness.... if you are really worried about this or want it to stop put some shavings or hay down on the ground in there pen that should keep the dirt out of there face and when it gets dirty just rake it out and use it as mulch.... hope this helps ya'll out out!

[​IMG]

3. matchook7

matchook7 New Egg

May 1, 2013
    South Australia
    G'Day......not that any one I know says that.........Thank you for your reply I am really worried as some people have culled their whole flock because of a sneeze!! These respiratory diseases are doing my head in I will take the dirt/sand out and put down pine shavings I will then leave them in quarantine for another week Fingers crossed that they are ok They are soooooo cute!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Nobody culls for simple sneezing, chickens do sneeze, just like any other critter and the occasional soft pssst sounding sneeze is perfectly normal. A wet, snotty sneeze, runny nose, watery/bubbly eyes, facial swelling, coughing, wheezing and rattling breathing sounds...those are the things to watch and listen for.

As far is if or when birds would get sick? No way to know really. You just hope that if new birds are carriers of something they will show symptoms during that 30 day quarantine period. Stress often brings on relapses of respiratory disease in birds that are carriers and very often moving to a new home is stressful enough to do just that. So we quarantine and we watch and hope that if birds are still bright eyed and healthy at the end of that time period that all is good.

5. matchook7

matchook7 New Egg

May 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Thank you as that is exactly the sound of the sneeze Im feeling more relaxed now!

6. mrs buff laced

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    Good! I'm glad y'all are feelin' better..... I'm sure they are gonna be just fine!

So just a quick question I'm from Texas( in case you didn't notice how much I use y'all) and I was just wondering if y'all see kangaroos a lot over there? I know it's probably just as common for y'all to see a kangaroo over there as it is for us to see a bobcat or mountain lion... I was just curious haha.....

7. matchook7

matchook7 New Egg

May 1, 2013
    South Australia
    I live on a 40 acre property in the country so I do see kangaroos a bit No city people see them they just eat them! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. mrs buff laced

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    aww that's so mean [​IMG]....Well if I ever go to Australia I sure ain't gonna eat one! They look so cool! Thanks for answering!

9. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Ditto everyone else. I have always had silkies, and the "psst" sneeze and headshake is very common for whatever reason. (My personal theory is because of their head poofs!) I've even seen birds do it at shows. If you are super concerned, introduce one of your existing birds into the new flock while they are still in Q, and if it starts getting sick (like REALLY sick....bubbles, snot, etc.) then you will have your answer. But a little sneeze every now and then I think is normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by