OCD in horses

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by camilleathome, Jan 16, 2013.

1. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Im looking for a pasture mate for a horse that we are taking in. Hes a 21 year old standardbred with swayback. I stumbled upon this mare who just seems exactly what Im looking for. Im not big on riding. A horse that I can use here and there for light riding is fine. Mainly would like a pet horse that I can groom and just love. The only issue with her is that she has ocd. Now she is 12 years old and it has only flared up recently as she was being jumped. She was given the injetions and is showing no signs of pain at all. Ive been reading a little bit about it but would just like to get more input. She is just this gorgeous well loved little palomino mare that just stood out at me when I saw the add and screamed she was the one. And her name is destiny.

2. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    Is she stabled all the time? That can cause problems like cribbing(chewing boards), pacing and other bad behaviors. Sometimes they just need relief from boredom. I have been around horses my entire life and have never heard of a horse with OCD. But I am around horses that are pastured and not stabled. So that may the reason.

3. camilleathome

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    No OCD is lesions in the hock. Its a bone issue

4. hotrodflash

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    Sorry, I work in the medical field and OCD is obsessive compulsive disorder. Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) is going to be a lifetime problem, may not be able to be ridden, expensive to care for, special feeds, expensive vet care etc... You need to weigh the options and see if it is worth the time and money. And you have to think about quality of life for the horse. I know this is not helping very much, but don't jump into taking care of a chronically sick horse until you know that you are prepared to do all that is necessary. If it was me, I would wait until another horse comes along. Just my thoughts. Horses in Texas are going for less money than ever. I can go to a sale barn and buy a horse for less than $100. People are turning horses, mules and donkey loose on the road because of the low prices.

5. camilleathome

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Im keeping my eyes peeled. Also have adds for boarding. I just need to get another horse into the barn before I can adopt bear(Who is the horse I really want to get). If I can adleast find someone to board it can give me time to come up with 1000 or so which could get me a very nice horse.

6. hotrodflash

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I wish you the best of luck. I saw your post about the farm and stables that you are going to rent on the natural chicken thread. I am really excited for you, I grew up in the country so having access to horses, cows, goats, pigs and chickens is something I have always taken for granted. I know this is a dream come true for you. Good Luck!

7. Arabgal

Arabgal New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    If you are looking for a nice horse, I know several breeders that have foals coming so you can get some really nice horses for very little money sometimes even free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by