Ocellated turkeys???????????????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lilwhispers, Nov 7, 2010.

1. lilwhispers

lilwhispers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    I received my Backyard poultry mag the other day with an article on Ocellated turkeys. Does anyone have them or know of a breeder for them. Would really like to find some eggs to hatch next spring.

2. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I came across a photo of one today and was shocked to see such a beautiful bird! If you find someone that sells eggs, let me know!!

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    There's a member here who raises rare and ornamental animals. Spectrum Ranch, I think it is, you might check with them. [​IMG]

4. lilwhispers

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    I found a video of a tom in full strut very cool looking. Hopefully this works.

5. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    I to seen the article and was also who selling them [​IMG] I would luv to get me a trio also [​IMG]

6. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I so didn't need to see this post! Now I want some [​IMG]

7. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Ocellated turkeys are from down toward mexico. As far as i know, they are mainly a wild breed. It will be very rare, and a very hefty price to get some eggs of these guys.

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    We considered having eggs shipped in (younger brother retired from the Navy and is living in Oaxaca), but it is easier to go down and shoot them than it is to get eggs out without bypassing the legal channels. We also don't think we could do this species justice without an indoor aviary. If we lived in the desert southwest we'd probably give it try.

A thread with some shots a member took: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104146&p=1
    Pretty
    good info. : http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_06.pdf#search%3Docellated%20turkey
    A
    site to add to your bookmarks of a fellow at Texas Tech whose Phd dissertation is on Meleagris Ocellata (page is under construction at present): http://www.rw.ttu.edu/mcroberts/

9. lilwhispers

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    After reading the article it says that they don't breed in captivity very well, But they are very cool looking.

10. 49erjohns

49erjohns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I just found a young pair. The guy wants $3000.00 for the pair. If you want the guy's info let me know. JOHN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by