1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oct 20 Eco, built in thermemoter or digital?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mikecoscia, May 4, 2009.

1. mikecoscia

mikecoscia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    North Haledon, NJ
    Just threw in my second clutch of call duck eggs into a new Oct 20. I have a water wiggler in there with a Brinsea spot thermometer inserted into it and a radio shack thermometer.

The radio shack and brinsea (inserted into wriggler) thermometer both read 37.5, but the built in alcohol thermometer that is placed directly under the fan reads like 102F

Which one do I go buy? I am being super paranoid after the first clutch eggs went full term, failed to hatch, and were deformed with twisted beaks and odd shaped heads. This was in an R-COM mini, threw the sucker out and bought the Oct 20 Eco.

Eggs have been in the bator for three days so far.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Threw your rcom mini out? You shoulda sold that on ebay...

My built in thermometer in my eco and my digital one always read the same... Hmm...
    What is 37.5C converted into Farenheit?

3. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I'd say to leave it where it is. 99.5 is perfect for the internal temps, while 102 is fine for a still air incubator. If the thermometer is higher than the center of wiggler, it should read a little higher. Most growth deformities I've read about were due to low temps, not high. I'd rather be a hair higher than lower! Good Luck!!

4. mikecoscia

mikecoscia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    North Haledon, NJ
    Quote:99.5. Here is a converter .

Quote:Yah the thermometer is a few inches higher the the bed the wiggler and eggs are lying in. It is also placed right up under the fan.

Yah I have read still's are supposed to be 102F and forced air 99.5F (which is the Eco 20). I understand the still's need to be higher as their is no circulation and the eggs will naturally be a lower temp. However is lower egg temp also the case in forced air or are the eggs ideally supposed to be 99.5F (37.5C). If yes than the wiggler should be the temp to set the bator by and not the built in analog thermometer right under the fan.

5. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    If 99.5 is perfect why didn't his eggs hatch? I have already been thru this with call ducks and a brinsea. Everybody thinks brinsea's are all that but they are not. If you are interested in what we did and the truth about a brinsea pm me.

6. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:He didn't mention his temps on the first attempt(?), 99.5 is perfect for fan circulated bators which will also have an internal egg temp of 99.5. Still airs are measured at the top height of the eggs and account for an internal wanted temp of 99.5. Soooooo, 99.5 IS perfect!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Of course, assuming your thermometers are accurate![​IMG]

8. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    If 99.5 is perfect why didn't his eggs hatch?

THere are other factors to take into consideration on why his eggs didnt hatch in his rcom.... But the incubator hes talking about now is the brinsea..​

9. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    My point exactly. He says it reads 37.5C which is 99.5 F. Was this what it read on his first batch?

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:THere are other factors to take into consideration on why his eggs didnt hatch in his rcom.... But the incubator hes talking about now is the brinsea..

Danny does not like Brinsea but he can't tell why.

All he says "bad design" and "cheap components" which is bull.

This is well designed , solid, durable and reliable incubator.

Brinsea ECO 20 is a super bargain at $99.00 (sale price) and still a bargain at regular price of $139.

People have 100 % hatches on shipped eggs in Brinsea and first time hatchers have consistently excellent hatches.

I have one and I am very happy with it, my first hatch 9 out of 10 shipped eggs hatched and healthy.

If the egg is fertile and hatchable Brinsea will hatch it, even new not experienced hatchers are doing good with Brinsea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by