Octagon 10 Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hobobrando, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    I want to start incubating eggs and I'm in the process of looking at incubators. I wondered if anyone has had any experience with the Octagon 10 Incuabator? Is it worth the money or should I just buy a hovabator?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have the octagon 40, almost the same, except the 40 holds more eggs. The temps stay consistant, and dont vary. I always get amazing hatches in that incubator.

3. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    I'm seriously considering buying one but... I could buy a hovabator with a turner for less then what i would pay for the Octagon 10 which has me wondering if the hovabator would be better for first time hatching.

4. greenwing

greenwing New Egg

Sep 14, 2008
    midwest missouri
    Hey, Hoborando, that quote was pretty funny. My dad asked me once, if a tree falls in the woods and no one was there, does it make a sound? I think that's how that goes, i WOULD worry about your sister. LOL!
    I bought a hovobator first time with a turner, just make SURE to read all the instructions about putting the eggs in, big side up, and watch the humidity!! THAT IS ALL IMPORTANT! Good luck! Carol

5. hobobrando

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks for the information, I think because I'm new to inqubating eggs i will get the hovabator.

Carol,
    Trust me I worry quite alot about my sisters sanity, hopefully she will move out soon and i will get to move into her bedroom. Then i will turn my room ito my new hatchery... [​IMG]

6. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    If you're gonna go with an Octagon, get a 40 not a 10. You'll regret it if you do.

I have 2 1588's and have been very happy with them, I'd suggest getting one of those.

I've used both 'bators side by side before and got great hatches with both. The key is learning and knowing the 'bator.

Good luck, and see ya Saturday [​IMG]

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have a pro-20. Not sure if they make them anymore. Mine has the auto turner and humidity module. I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by