October Newcomers! Cuckoo or barred?

LittleReHomes

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Mojave Desert, CA
Hello! I wanted to share a few pictures of the new flock I got in October of 2016. I take in older rehomes that usually come from hatcheries or small unprofessional breeders, so they are most likely mixes but I would still love some input from fellow chicken lovers!

I am guestimating the breeds as the previous owners had no idea.
3 hens, 2 roos.
The roos are brothers, Buff Orpingtons, 2yo.
Two of the hens are barred(or cuckoo? Very messy patterns) sisters 2yo, both with white/pink legs. One sister has quite the big spurs for a hen, but I've seen it before haha.
One hen is a 4yo black sexlinked.

My major question is the pattern on the girls, barred and cuckoo can be found in a few breeds, if anyone can tell, what breed are the twins? And are they poorly barred or cuckoo?

I don't know if these pictures are uploading...

You can also post photos at "what breed or gender is this." The folks there know a lot about genetics regarding barring, etc.

welcome-byc.gif

No pictures are showing but if you can load some, the best place to id your birds is the forum drumstick diva mentioned:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

It's nice to have you here!

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

No photos are showing.

Barred and Cuckoo and genetically the same, the only difference is that Barred should be an even pattern whereas Cuckoo is uneven and alternating.

True Barred birds are very rare and only seen in the show rings today.

All hatchery birds (Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rocks, Dominiques) are technically Cuckoo, even if they are called Barred.

If they have white legs I would lean toward them being Cuckoo Marans. I've also seen several spurred Marans, which makes me think that as well. However, these days hatchery Barred Rocks will have white legs as often as they do proper yellow. So it can be hard to be sure. Egg color is often distinct, as most hatchery Cuckoos will lay at least a darker, if not very dark, egg.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

G’Day from down under LittleReHomes
frow.gif
Welcome!

Kudos to you for giving our feathered friends a second chance at a good life.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom