ocular mareks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelck22, Nov 7, 2013.

1. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    [​IMG]

This is my two year old barred rock. Noticed both eyes had pupils that where smaller than the other chickens. She seems healthy otherwise.

2. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Anyone have an opinion?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I can't see the eye well enough in the picture but occular Mareks presents itself with a cloudy greyish irregular pupil. I suggest googling occular Mareks disease symptoms. As I understand it the eye or pupils usually turn grey. You might want to do the search because they have pictures of it you can see and compare to your bird. I'm sorry I can't see her eyes well enough in the picture to make any comments on her but I do hope this answer helps you some. When you google it you will be able to see some excellent examples to compare your bird with. I wish you the best and do hope she does not have it.Again I hope this is helpful to you. Best wishes.

4. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    If it is ocular mareks wouldn't just one pupil be small? Both Her pupils are small.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    It is hard to say... Maybe you can share your photos in this thread and get second opinions...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

It does look like she has some miosis in her pupil shown. If it does not react to changes in light (especially at night, from very dark to very bright) then that is a red flag to me.

(neither of these photos are mine)
    See this image of pupil miosis in a Marek's chicken:http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/a...las/files/avian_atlas_assets/MD-009A x420.jpg
    Does her pupils have any irregularity to the shape? Are they perfectly round, or slightly off? This is what I mean by "off" (notice the miotic pupil again): http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/jkattef/bad_eye.jpg

It is a good sign that she can still see, though. I am not sure what other problems could cause miotic pupils in a chicken. In Marek's, it is due to lymphoids in the eye/brain. Perhaps other types of tumors or swelling could cause it? Does she have any other symptoms?

1 person likes this.
  6. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Her eyes kind of look like first pic. She has no other symptoms, runs straight and fast, get angry with me when I go in the coop at night and shine lights in her face. I have owned her about 1.5 years now and she was 6 months to a year when I got her.

7. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    Still going to get a blood test but, her pupils have gained size and now react to light changes. Weird

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have a bunch that have the pin point pupils.

[​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. kelck22

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Mine don't change, they've been small for many months.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by