ocular Mareks??!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cream puff, Jul 29, 2014.

1. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    anyone with any experience with this at all??? what I thought was an eye injury could be Mareks because I bought my hen and 2 chicks from a flock that had one chicken with confirmed ocular mareks. Is this what my sick chicken has? ANYONE?? The skin around her eye is red and rough and slightly swollen. There's no more gunk and no other symptoms. With she recover? Do I have to cull her??? I have no idea what to do here.

This is totally an emergency

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I havnt dealt with marek's. The eye on the left is normal. The eye on the right is ocular marek's.
    [​IMG]

3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like some kind of cold or sinus swelling. Some treatment for respiratory illness may be in order. Maybe some extra vitamins and electrolytes in water may help. I would quarantine them if you have other birds.

4. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    the bird from the original flock had that funky eye like in the above picture, so my chicken has been exposed to it. She has a bump near her eye away from her beak, and now she's dropping feathers like crazy. I don't know if she's molting or if this is another symptom. I doubt it's a molt because she's broody....

5. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Swelling around the eye is not a sign of occular mareks as far as I know. Now if your bird shows sensitivity to sunlight or pupils will not contract etc., that could be a sign.
    Also, a broody hen can lose feathers. They sometimes pull feathers around their breast to feather the nest and it is that time of the year for molting. I've already had three start theirs.

6. cream puff

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm off to the feed store to get the antibiotics as soon as it opens. Can a chicken molt and be broody at the same time? She didn't line the nest with the feathers they were just all over the floor.

Hopefully the antibiotics will work and we can get past this to normal chicken hood.

7. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Could be her and another hen were in a tussle. I've noticed that my hens will go after a broody who is all puffed out and clucking around. Not unusual for feathers to fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by