Ocular Merek's disease? HELP! Pics of eyes now added!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenluvin, Nov 12, 2016.

1. chickenluvin

chickenluvin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2016
    I am new here & am glad I found you!
    I need help confirming if my hen has Ocular Marek's disease please. This is my first long awaited experience with chickens & I am completely smitten! I am just so worried because my 9 Wyandotte hens & rooster have become like a part of my family & are so friendly & personable. I can't fathom what I might be facing.
    Anything I've been googling, reading or asking seems to always lead me to the conclusion of Marek's. There is no avian vet near me & I understand that Marek's can't be helped anyway.
    She is 25 weeks old & went blind suddenly in one eye not too long ago. Her pupil is non reactive to both light & movement & is very large compared to her normal eye. The iris in her good eye is a rich gold like her feathers & is lighter/more yellow in her blind eye. Both pupils seem round & not irregular & I see no gray. There is no infection & her eyes are clear. Both eyes used to be the same in both size & color. She seems healthy & perky otherwise.
    Does this sound like Marek's? If not, what else could it be? How much do I need to worry about the rest of my flock? So far, the rest seem fine.
    How fast does this spread or cause illness if it is Marek's?
    I have pictures but don't know if I can add them here.
    Thanks ahead for any help with this!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Does it look like this

[​IMG]The right eye is Mareks infected

3. chickenluvin

Nov 12, 2016
    Thank you Isaac..
    No, there is no gray. Her blind eye has a very large non reactive pupil & the iris has become a lighter gold/yellow compared to the darker rich gold iris in her normal eye.

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
  5. chickenluvin

Nov 12, 2016
    Thanks for the link Isaac!
    She has no infections & my coop is clean with no smell.
    What worries me is that it was sudden & the iris color has changed & has gotten lighter. Would the iris color change with any other disease?

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Dont know about that.I would buy a eye ointment for her or wash it weekly.You could buy a Eye ointment at a feed store to stop further infection

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. chickenluvin

Nov 12, 2016
    Can I post any pics on here to show the distinct difference between her good & blind eye? When I press the paperclip it says I don't have permission to do an attachment.
    How do you add pics?

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This one has had ocular Marek's
    [​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Select the icon to the left of the paperclip to upload pictures.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by