Odd aggressive behavior with my Polish hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GottaLuvChicks, Oct 23, 2010.

1. GottaLuvChicks

GottaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Ok, this morning is the first time I have noticed this, but Tater (the only bearded Polish Laced out of the Polish clan) is running around, head down, and basically head-butting everyone in the pen, including the roo!! She is actually charging at them at a full run and slamming into them! It is causing quite the uproar in the pen, as the other 3 hens and the roo are looking at her like she is nuts, and they of course are trying to run away. I noticed before that she can be a bit nippy sometimes with the others, and she is the "top hen in the pen" for sure, but this is new...any ideas?
    They are all about 8 months old now, no eggs yet, but she has been squatting a bit. Do PLs get broody?? I have heard they don't but, who knows with my clan! The pen they have is HUGE, so I don't think it is a space issue, but I just have no idea what could be going on for her to be SO aggressive! Any suggestions?
    (PS - last night was our first super cold night, had a frost advisory, but they were shut into the coop. There is plenty of food and water, no changes in the pen in the last few weeks besides the new coop).

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Is she puffing up and doing a squatty run? She might be broody..

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In all my years, I've never seen the behavior you describe. I have a little banty polish hen that likes to pick fights, but I've never seen the head butting. Perhaps she's got a neurological disorder?

4. GottaLuvChicks

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    She is kind of puffing up, and is bending straight down with her head straight down and running full force forward to slam into the other chickens. It's like looking at a road-runner speeding across a field with it's head down. That's the best way I know to describe it. I have to admit it was kind of funny when the one hen moved and she slammed into the fence lol
    I don't know much about the PL broodiness, as from what I have read, they don't really care much about eggs/chicks. I may very well be wrong. I am going to double check the coop/pen, but I haven't seen any eggs yet, although she squats a lot the past week or two.

5. GottaLuvChicks

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Quote:Up until today, she has been just normally picking fights here and there, more of a "I am the queen" type of behavior. Maybe she is just warming up from the cold night? She seems fine otherwise, stands up fine, doesn't wobble or shake, is eating and drinking fine, just every so often she decides to slam into her flock-mates.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wish you could post a video!

7. GottaLuvChicks

Oct 17, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Quote:I might just have to figure out how to do it. I have a new phone and am having enough trouble figuring out how to text message with it lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by