Odd baby, but mum still loves him!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
My pair of ringneck doves have managed to hatch out and raise a full sized pigeon.
Here is Dad on the right, mum in the middle and baby on the left.

I found an egg on the coop floor, and put it into the ringneck doves cage. They took to it at once.

This pair is a very old male 11 years, and a year old female, that has never laid an egg in her life for some reason. They were always making nests and sitting on nothing, so I decided they would like to have a baby.

I was surprised what the chick turned out like though!!! Quite a monster. I keep old dutch capuchins, and white fantail doves. He is a cross between the 2 breeds.

Today his mum and dad are teaching him to eat peanuts. He is learning fast. He is nearly ready to leave them. I have been putting him in the main pigeon coop each day to get used to the other pigeons. But 3 days ago he got attacked and that is the wound on his head. It is much better now.

I always stay with him now when I let him mix with the others pigeons. I hope he will toughen up a bit and stand up for himself. He has learnt the gentleness and good manners from his dove foster parents!

Back
Top Bottom