Odd baby, but mum still loves him!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by jak2002003, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My pair of ringneck doves have managed to hatch out and raise a full sized pigeon.
    Here is Dad on the right, mum in the middle and baby on the left.
    [​IMG]
    I found an egg on the coop floor, and put it into the ringneck doves cage. They took to it at once.

This pair is a very old male 11 years, and a year old female, that has never laid an egg in her life for some reason. They were always making nests and sitting on nothing, so I decided they would like to have a baby.

I was surprised what the chick turned out like though!!! Quite a monster. I keep old dutch capuchins, and white fantail doves. He is a cross between the 2 breeds.
    [​IMG]
    Today his mum and dad are teaching him to eat peanuts. He is learning fast. He is nearly ready to leave them. I have been putting him in the main pigeon coop each day to get used to the other pigeons. But 3 days ago he got attacked and that is the wound on his head. It is much better now.
    [​IMG]

I always stay with him now when I let him mix with the others pigeons. I hope he will toughen up a bit and stand up for himself. He has learnt the gentleness and good manners from his dove foster parents!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. edelicious

edelicious New Egg

Oct 1, 2013
    nigeria
    So cute

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thank you!

4. Nature Gurl

Nature Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Vancouver Island
    Really sweet!

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Thanks for posting Jak nice pictures that is a bonus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by