1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I got to looking at my silkie rooster and his top beak is longer like it is supposed to be but it isn't pointed. It is more square shape and wavy on the end. I know that the beak usually grows more and they file it down during normal activity. I have noticed that silkies don't seem to forage as well so maybe he is not getting to file his down instead of this being a problem with his beak?

Do I need to file it down for him or if I provide a cement stone or something of that sort do you think that he would use it to file it down himself?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I trim beaks if they become overgrown...does he get free range time? Some birds just have an amazing power to have fast growing beaks and nails...they just need trimming from time to time...baby nail clippers and careful of their "quick" in the beak

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:If your only concern is that the end of his beak isn't pointed and it isn't causing a problem for him (not able to eat properly), I don't know that you need to trim it. You might just want to keep an eye on it, and trim it if you notice that it is getting longer or more twisted, or is interfering with his ability to eat. Maybe a square rather than pointed shape is actually not a bad thing (less damage to the backs of hens during mating)?? IDK - I don't have roosters, but I see an awful lot if rooster damage posts on here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by