1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd behavior from one of our ladies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrittanyAndFam, Mar 14, 2013.

1. BrittanyAndFam

BrittanyAndFam New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Today one of our ladies started acting a little on the weird side. She's a Lemon Cuckoo Orpington and her usual behavior is to be "snooty". She doesn't give us the time of day and doesn't like being handled. Well today she's easy to catch because she's come into our house twice, has hid in the shed and shuffled around almost searching for something (?), and laid down in the middle of the yard. She laid a perfect egg today as usual and is eating and drinking normally. She's also opening and closing her mouth and has been more vocal today. I looked up Gapeworm and none of the other symptoms match. Can anyone offer some insight? Thank you! :)

2. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC! Sorry I have no advice to offer up on your girls behavior. One of ours tends to be kinda weird in her attitudes too. Her usual attitude is that we don't exist unless we have treats but occasionally she gets friendly. We discovered with one of our other girls that she got kinda mopey and would 'nest' down a lot randomly where ever she chose as she began her molt and all throughout it. Hopefully someone will come along and answer your question. You could also post in the behaviors section.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying or the emergencies/cures section https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures. Good luck on finding the solution.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, BrittanyandFarm, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I X2 the advice of The Howards. Good luck to you - hope you hen is alright!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. BrittanyAndFam

BrittanyAndFam New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Thank you! I'm excited to have some chicken support. [​IMG] I'll try re-posting in the behavior section. She ended up in my bedroom today. So strange. [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You probably know Orpingtons are known for broodiness, right? *I* think she's scoping out nest sites. Not just the normal place to lay her eggs and walk away .... but a place to build a nest, go broody, and hatch some eggs. She's not "there" yet, but I bet dollars to doughnuts she's on the verge.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. BrittanyAndFam

BrittanyAndFam New Egg

Mar 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I actually didn't know that but it makes total sense! This is our first Orpington and I'm not very familiar with them. Thank you!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by