Odd behavior in one of my chickens. Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kadavis08, Nov 24, 2016.

1. kadavis08

kadavis08 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2016
    Hi, my 4 month old buff, Stella, is acting strangely. She's kind of staying off to herself out of the wind and sleeping while her two buddies are out walking around. She nearly fell asleep while I was holding her and her crop had felt empty, not bursting like usual, when I pick her up the last two afternoons. She seems exhausted. She's always been smaller than these two. I've also attached some pics of my coop. They are loose in our backyard all day while I'm gone. It's been above freezing the last couple of nights so their hanging water is in there but earlier this week I just put a small cooler with warm water outside for them each morning. They have access to grower feed and boss all day plus whatever I give them at night from dinner. Today, they got some turkey and sweet potatoes which Stella didn't want. She took a couple of bites out of my hand but that was it. Any advice about her behavior and the coop for winter is greatly appreciated! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016

[​IMG]

4. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016
    so sorry about multiple posts...my phone is making me crazy. Here is the coop:
    [​IMG]

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you provide any poultry grit?

It's not a hard and fast rule, most of the time chickens can find grit naturally in the soil, but I usually err on the "safe side" and offer it free choice.
    She looks like she doesn't feel well. There are so many things that can go wrong with chicken. So let's start with the crop. Since she isn't eating well, keep check on that. Feel it tonight at roosting time and then first thing in the morning before eating/drinking. Night=full crop and morning it should be empty.

What does her poop look like? Fluffed up appearance, huddling, loose stool/diahhrea with mucous or blood, lethargy, not eating/drinking could be an indication of Coccidiosis. Treatment is with Corid which is a mild medication (cocciodistat).

Ventilation is key when it comes to coops. Make sure there is enough air getting in at night to ventilate any ammonia coming from the droppings. Since they free range most of the day, nighttime spent in the coop is the biggest concern for fresh air. Since you have "introduced" a cooler of warm water for them outside, make sure she knows this is water. Observe that she is drinking. Chickens can be funny about "new" and "different" things tap the edge of the water cooler and see if she will drink. She may be dehydrated.

Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water if you have them. See if she will eat a little wet chick starter, but hydration is first.

Let us know how she is doing.

6. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016

Yes, they have free access to grit which they love to scatter all over the coop :) where can I get the coccidiostat? I left their coop door sans plastic and then a 2 inch by 6 inch section in their roost area door also uncovered I saw a pic online which showed the flow of air like this.

You're right about the water. Since her regular waterer is back, maybe that will help.

She had a loose stool when I was out with them earlier but it was mostly white. Sometimes they seem to have former stool in the morning and then looser towards the end of the day. I was putting apple cider vinegar in their water and they were all the picture of health....

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can find Corid at your local feed store (like Tractor Supply) it is usually in the cattle section.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After you finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

8. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016

Thank you so much!

9. kadavis08

Sep 21, 2016
    I found the corid at southern states this morning and put it in their water. I also made her some oatmeal with raisins and mealworms and confined her to the coop for today. She feels worse than yesterday. Really hoping she starts to feel better soon! Of the three, she's really a pet.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep us posted on her progress. If she doesn't show improvement in a day or two, then you will need to re-evaluate.

I hope she gets better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by