Odd behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidfarmer, Apr 20, 2017.

1. kidfarmer

kidfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Hi everyone I was just looking to get some possible answers on why my chicken has been acting strange. She's doing good eating and drinking occasionally will come out if I let them all out to run around for some time, being her normal self. But just this week and half way through last week I've noticed she will just stand and look at me, not have as much energy to do anything. Other than she's just acting tired and not having enough energy she's fine. Any possible reasons behind this? Thanks

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    is she still laying for you?

3. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure I haven't really caught her in the nest box recently

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Not having enough energy is often the only noticeable symptom that a chicken is unwell. So I would think something is off with her. Without other more clear signs it can be hard to pinpoint the problem, and in many cases there's nothing you can do. Hopefully she feels better in a few days.

5. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Alright I'll keep a close eye on her thanks!

6. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I just went out to check on them and she pooped and it was mostly liquid about 85% I would say

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That usually means they are drinking but not eating.

I would get a hold of her and feel her crop to see if it's empty or full. If full I would gently massage it, as sometimes they get plugged up. Chickens can eat all kinds of things which can cause problems like string, and metal items like nails or staples. So feeling her crop would be what I would do next.

If it's empty than I might try enticing her to eat with scrambled eggs or even canned corn.

While holding her look for parasites on her head and vent area, as well as listen to her breathing which should have no wheezing or rattling.

8. kidfarmer

Mar 29, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I did check her crop yesterday and it was normal full and no parasites I haven't noticed any unusual breathing but I will double check

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    When I have a sick, or off, bird I isolate them in a crate at least overnight or for a couple days to monitor their input and output.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/foldable-wire-dog-crates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer
    Remove feed at night and check crop, check crop again in morning to make sure it's emptied.
    Examine bird thoroughly, checking abdomen and vent area for swelling.

Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
    Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by