Odd behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MarySue, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MarySue

MarySue Songster

Jul 24, 2015
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    I have a flock of 24 layers, 3 silkies, 1 rooster, 1 cockerel, and 4 pullets. I have had a poor summer of production. I have checked for parasites, and treated the buildings and roosts for them as well the birds themselves. I have had one of my girls get Salpingites and had her at the vet. They did a fecal float for parasites which was negative. But I treated the whole flock for those just to be on the safe side. The only real changes I have made were to allow some of my hens to raise chicks this season. Egg production still sucks and now of course is molt. In have a motley crew for sure. So I am hoping for a spring renewal in that arena. But now all of a sudden half the flock have decided they don't want to use the coop. Some of these ladies have been with me for 3 years so not a new pullet situation. Even my rooster who has never had a problem going into the coop has been staying out. I have checked for mites at night both on their bodies and in the wood with a flashlight. I went out and sprayed everything down with Permitherine again On Friday and sprayed them as well. Still I went out last night and half the flock were in the run. The two older hens were inside but my rooster was still outside the coop. I see NOTHING! I am at a total loss. Do I treat again in 10 days just to be sure or am I missing something? Is there some other reason they suddenly decide not to use the coop?

2. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Possibilities why chickens won't sleep in the coop include: red mite infestation, predator or rodent activity, high ammonia levels, other birds in the flock won't let them inside.

lazy gardener likes this.
  4. MarySue

MarySue Songster

Jul 24, 2015
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    No rodents, got that handled this summer. Coop bottom is sand which is cleaned weekly and we just refreshed it wit 3 fresh bags.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How big is the coop?

6. ChickenGirl555

ChickenGirl555 Songster

Oct 22, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Then from sourland's choices, maybe the other chickens are bullying them and preventing them from entering? Just an idea

7. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Check for ticks on the chickens at night. There is a type of tick that will only bother the chickens at night and will hide during the day. The ticks are soft ticks which are commonly known as fowl tick, adobe tick, blue bug, chicken tick, or tampan. They are mainly in the southwestern states and along the Gulf Coast.

8. MarySue

MarySue Songster

Jul 24, 2015
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Approximately 8X9. I have had 28 at my max sleeping in there (mostly) peacefully for several years. We need to expand and have plans to do so. I will post pics of my set up tomorrow. Here is the inside... we have a 3rd set of nesting boxes now though, these pics are older. IMG_0645.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_0645.JPG IMG_1614.JPG

Attached Files:

9. MarySue

MarySue Songster

Jul 24, 2015
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    This would make sense if it hadn't been a mass exodus and some of them are at the top of the pecking order. My Brahma is 4 1/2 yrs old and is the queen of the flock.

10. MarySue

MarySue Songster

Jul 24, 2015
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    I did check for mites, used a flashlight checked cracks, roosts, birds. Treated all with Permitherine just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by