odd behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KalisCoop, Aug 28, 2013.

1. KalisCoop

KalisCoop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    Central Missouri
    One of my "pullets" was on top of a hen apparently breeding her tonight. Is that something that happens from time to time? Or is she possibly a he?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Probably a HE.... Hens will crow now and then but doing the deed is a guy thing.

If you have Silkys you wont know you have a roo till it crows unless you are really good at looking at posture. Roos tend to stand more upright.

Ok I went and looked at your pictures. The white one is definately a roo. Roos have fine feathers around their necks that are finer than hens neck fethers.... dang I cant remember the name of the type of feather.

deb

1 person likes this.
  3. KalisCoop

Aug 28, 2013
    Central Missouri
    :( it worries me because if it is a roo it is the biggest (and not done growing) chicken in the flock. Will this be okay with my banty hens? I love this beautiful bird, but I don't want my ladies to be in danger either!

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

That is a concern. keep an eye on their feathers see if they begin to look a little plucked.... around the head and across the back. Thats a sign to give them a rest. Or get them hen saddles. Get one hen saddle and make a pattern off of them they are suppoesdly easy to make.

Resting them is a simple matter of giving the roo a condo for a week or so.... Or get him a couple of Large fowl hens for his own and see if that silky is truely a boy.

Good luck.

deb

1 person likes this.
  5. KalisCoop

Aug 28, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Well it was breeding one of the two standard hens I have. It is a good rooster (still praying a confused pullet lol) tho, it is always the last one in at night and sleeps in front of the door, sometimes even in the doorway. On the first night it slept out in the run with a banty who didn't want to go in the house. Would have to change the name tho, we call it Big Mamma lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by