Odd Behaviors and pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3chickenfriends, Apr 16, 2017.

1. 3chickenfriends

3chickenfriends Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016
    Hey BYC so I've recently been stressing over my almost 3 year old speckled sussex, Beep Beep. I've posted about her several times because she's constantly throwing obstacles at me. Although, for the past few days she's been acting differently than she ever has by not roosting with my other hen. She sits in the nesting box to sleep but she hasn't laid an egg in a very long time so I don't think it's possible for her to be broody but I'm not quite sure. Her comb has also been much paler than usual. I've come to think she's not eating her normal layer pellets since I don't see a nice full crop at the end of the day and I only see one pile of poop when cleaning the coop. I believe that since she hasn't been eating correctly that she isn't receiving a full diet and that's causing her comb to become pale and making her maybe too weak to jump on the roost.

I'm very worried as to her health and I'm not sure where to begin or what to do to help her. In the past two days I've seen her eat worms, raisins, and grass I haven't seen her drink but of course I'm not there all day to watch. Tomorrow I'm thinking of maybe dampening her food and trying to get her to eat that. She and my other hen didn't receive snacks today and I heard that maybe she's been getting spoiled with her snacks but to the point of getting a pale comb? I'm not sure. She is walking during the day and she isn't in the upstairs part of the coop and she came out and ran around in the grass when freeranging yesterday. Also yesterday she did poop while she was out it was a small piece of brown poop and then white liquid around it. I'm happy it wasn't green but it definitely wasn't a poop to be proud of.

Please help me get her back up on the roosting stick at night and eating good to her a nice poop.

Thanks!
    -3ChickenFriends

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Does she stay in the nesting box most all day? If so Does she cluck, feathers puffed when you get close or when she comes outside for a short?

3. 3chickenfriends

3chickenfriends Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016

She is not in the nesting box most of the day, she is in the run of the coop digging and following my other hen. Only at night she sits in the nesting box to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by