Odd behaviour?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickgal, Oct 18, 2016.

1. thechickgal

thechickgal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    I have posted about these hens in an couple other posts. I have these hens I got a few days ago. The lady originally got them as started pullets at a hatchery. One is malnourished but the others are very healthy. Other than them having been debeaked or clipped. They appear to eat good but the malnourished one seems to have some difficulty. They don't roost and they act like they have never been outside. They walk around cautiously and don't have any interest in bugs. Will they eventually show signs of normal chicken behaviour having been introduced to grass and outside.

2. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG] I've actually been getting an egg every other day by one of them

3. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    [​IMG] this is a pic of the malnourished one. I've named her sunshine.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you've only had them a few days, I say just give them more time. It usually takes a bird a good 2 weeks to acclimate to new surroundings.

5. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    OK thanks

6. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    There is an organic egg farm near here who was giving away some of their older layers, so a friend of mine picked up a dozen or so. She was astounded that the chickens didn't know how to be chickens! They had been kept in cages their whole lives and were downright frightened of going outside. They also didn't know what a roost was, because they had never had one. They didn't know how to take a dirt bath, stared at meal worms suspiciously, and barely ventured a few feet from the coop. It took them a couple weeks to figure out how to be free, but they are happy chickens now. Do you know what type of environment yours came from?

7. thechickgal

Feb 23, 2016
    Indiana
    I have know idea but the way they act is just like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by