1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd carcass

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by furbabymum, Jan 20, 2015.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

I know some research suggests the birds might be still alive when scalded but I can assure you they were quite dead. This wasn't our first processing. Still, 3 of them had this skin. Any ideas??? I do know that this particular bird had a red butt pretty much it's whole life. I kept spraying it with stuff but it was still red. Did they have a disease or something?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Could your scald water have been too hot?

3. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Possible. We were adding boiling water in between carcasses to keep the heat in the pot up. We've always had scald pot temp issues. Usually the problem is that it's too cold though. Appears we may have gone the extreme opposite way.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Nice looking carcass - what breed of chicken?

5. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    They were Cornish X

We procrastinated far too long in slaughtering them. They should have been processed in September.

6. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Cornish x can have all sorts of health problems if not slaughtered on time, so it could be a number of things, it's most likely nothing though. Idk. :)

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In my unprofessional opinion, it does not look like a diseased bird. The rest of the skin looks OK. How did the guts look and smell? Anything off there? The meat doesn't look discolored. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the health problems caused by waiting too long wouldn't keep me from eating the chicken. Sometimes they can be heart-related, causing sudden death, and sometimes they can be physical deformities. I'd be more conceerned about eating a chicken that the guts or meat smelled or looked off.

8. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    It looks better than the ones i seen at the grocery store earlier.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There is nothing wrong with that carcass! The skin looks slightly pink, but I don't see anything wrong with the color.

10. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    I did make a point of checking the organs and they all looked normal to me.

The pick looks pink but it's more red I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by