Odd Cat Tastes

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Stacykins, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    So I got myself some plain yogurt as a snack. However, I left that bowl of yogurt unattended for a few moments on my kitchen table when I was distracted by a phone call (and had left the phone in another room). Upon returning, I found a VERY pleased kitty cat with her face in the bowl and about half of the yogurt gone. That was my treat, kitty! I actually never knew she liked yogurt. I know milk is bad, since cats can't digest lactose past kittenhood, but yogurt should have very little, if any, due to the beneficial bacteria consuming it in the process of making it.

Do any of your cats eat weird things not typical for cats? I personally consider typical in the range of their normal obligate carnivore diet, such as raw meats (bones, flesh, organs), commercial cat food (dry or wet) and treats. Stuff like veggies, fruits, or pudding (another favorite of my siamese kitty) just seem odd for them to like! Especially since cats have no sense of sweet due to the deletion of the gene because it wasn't needed in the evolution of big cats since they evolved to get all their nutritional needs met by meat sources.

2. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quote:My big boy(20 lb Siamese) "The Oz" loves cherry tomatoes. He'll make a complete fool of himself just to get one....lol

Suz

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My cat has food that she really loves, like cheese, chicken, cheese puffs, most potato chip flavors, most green veggies, yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, etc... Then there are olives. [​IMG] She goes crazy over olives, she will scratch and bite to get them. She has climbed up my clothing to get them. They are like kitty crack. [​IMG] You can't pet her after touching them because she will try to eat your hand.

Now I had always believed cats could not taste sweetness in food. I no longer believe that. My cat can't resist sweets. She has gotten into frosting, syrup, pudding (never chocolate), doughnuts (she can suck the jelly out of raspberry filled ones), blueberry muffins and I have even caught her sticking her tongue in the sugar dish (now covered).

She won't eat fish though. [​IMG]

BTW today is her 10th birthday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Ohh, is she getting any Happy Birthday olives since she loves them so much? [​IMG]

5. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Every cat I have ever owned has been crazy about yogurt, it has always been a normal cat treat here...there is just something about it they crave and they are not above begging for it [​IMG]

I do have one cat that likes to eat the crust off of bread...

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Ok, ya'll got me again. [​IMG]

I saw; Odd Cat Tastes

And I just had to click it. I didn't want to, but i HAD to...

Because I wanted to see what a odd cat tasted like. [​IMG]

yes, I know... I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. [​IMG]

7. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:[​IMG] If I had written Cat Tastes Odd then you would have needed to worry a bit!

8. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Olives, yogart, cottage cheese, fig tree leaves, wood, and ORANGE PEELS are some of the things our cats eat.

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:[​IMG] If I had written Cat Tastes Odd then you would have needed to worry a bit!

Stacykins, at my age, and having dyslexia.... You would be surprised how many times a day I go [​IMG] on here!
    Then I look at it again and it makes perfect sense. lol
    You post was fine, it was my old eyes that are goin' [​IMG]

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Ohh, is she getting any Happy Birthday olives since she loves them so much? [​IMG]

Nope, no olives for her until she can learn not to be so mean about them. She will be getting chicken breast nuggets and a French fry or two and a little dish of flan. She loves flan.

MFB: Terra said your mind is going, not just your eyes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by