odd chick behavior...

chickenmirri

Hatching
May 20, 2016
Hello I am new here but not entirely new to chicken raising. Currently I have a flock of 6 laying hens and have recently decided to round out to 10. My four additions are two barred rocks, a light brahma and a buff orpington and they are about 4 weeks old now. The buff I'm on the fence as to whether it is a roo or not because a comb is very short but pink (it almost appears pecked off somehow)so I'm holding out to find out but my real question is of my buff orpington. Since it was about 2 weeks it has been assertive and seeks out my hands when I do anything in the cage, sometimes biting though seemingly in attempts to get on my hand rather than out of aggression. Today however when displaying the same attention to my hand it started flaring its tail and, in a way, seemed to mount my hand. I've looked all over to see if this was normal or if it was a sign of a future roo as well So I figured I would ask on here...along with this I have provided pics of both birds to get a weigh in on thoughts for both birds.
[/IMG]

I'm only seeing one pic, which I'll presume is the light brahma, and I really can't tell anything from that pic. I would think light brahmas are later bloomers since they're a larger breed. If you post pics of your orpington, then we may be able to help you. The behavior you're describing does make me THINK cockerel, but I wouldn't think an orp that young would be that assertive...?? Pics would probably help.

Can you get a pic from the front? A better shot of the Comb? Right now, to me, nothing is screaming male. But I'd have to see a better shot of the Comb to be sure.

this is about how much cooperation I could get out of the chick as far as front views go. It is really odd that it acts that way, I've raised an orpington before and it was the friendliest of all the chickens I've had. The other chick I dont have better pics yet as it is really skittish despite being handled regularly.

It looks quite young to have that red of a Comb (at least it is appearing quite red in the photo. That said I would lean towards this chick being male. Generally the females combs don't redden until when they are just about ready to lay they remain pinkish until then. They also don't have large combs until older. I CAN say I have a 5 week old Buff Orpington that was sexed as a female by the hatchery. I can see a big difference between her Comb and your birds comb.even at almost 6 weeks old her Comb is MUCH SMALLER.it also a lighter pinkish color. Have you noticed if your buff stands more upright or closers to the ground. Males tend to stand more upright. I'm guessing male but when it gets a bit older you should know for sure

My 7 Barred Rock girls have wattle buds but at almost 6 weeks of age.some breeds females will develop wattles buds early. still yet , I think You have a little male.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom