Odd Chick Out.

Rugger0430

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ok, So I have had my chicks for a few days now, (5 total) and I have noticed that one of them tends to set herself apart from the rest of the flock.
She does not seem ill, she eats and drinks and plays a lot, but when it comes time for them to settle down she tends to nest away from the others.
Now I say she, because I ordered all Hen's, and I am hopping that they all are.
But does anyone have any answer's for me, any bit of help is greatly appreciated.

I have not seen any bullying, they all get on very well, I'm wondering if maybe its a Roo. I would love to have one, but my Neighbors would not like that, at all....

Is she a Wyandotte, by any chance? I've raised two sets of Wyandotte chicks now, and in each batch, there was a "loner".

These two pullets kept off to themselves from the very beginning, and maintained the trait even as they matured. They do appear to be down at the bottom of the pecking order, however.

I have a feeling this tendency to be loners may be an occasional trait in this breed.

I have a buff brahma hen that has been the loner since they were all in the brooder. They free range now and still she stays to herself. If your chick is getting enough to eat - nobody is keeping her from the feeder - and growing well, I wouldn't worry. Just like people some chickens are just loners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom