Odd chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sackosuds, Feb 28, 2017.

1. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Hey all. I have buff Orpington hen who is just disappearing every night . She comes back in the morning but is not really sticking to the rest of the flock. I wait until it's late to lock the rest in but can't leave the coop unlocked all night. I did get a soft egg from her a week ago and a friend of mine told me she'd be molting but I'don't know. Is anyone familiar with this behavior? And is there anything I can do to get her in.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Sounds like she might be broody. When you see her on a morning, is she acting strange? .... like fluffed up and clucking and defensive if any of the others come near. When you see her, watch where she goes after she has had something to eat and drink and she may lead you back to her nest of eggs. They usually only stay off the nest for 15-20 mins so it's not like you have to wait all day for her to go back to it. Of course I might be totally wrong and she could just be getting bullied and that's why she is not returning to the coop or she could be sick, but usually they stop eating if they are ill and stand somewhere hunched up.
    Do you have a cockerel? They can and will go broody without one in the flock but obviously the eggs won't develop unless they have been mated. If you find a nest and you have a cockerel and you want to continue to hatch, then you need to decide whether to leave her in situ or move her and risk her abandoning the eggs. She will be homed in to that nest site rather than the eggs or nest so if you decide that it is not safe to leave her there, you will need to be careful about how you go about moving her or perhaps try to make her chosen location safer.

Good luck with figuring it out and let us know how things go.

Best wishes

Barbara

3. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Hi. Yes she seems awful flustered. Unfortunately she isn't back yet this morning. I searched around a good bit for her but, no luck. Also, yes there is a cockerel. He and the other girls are calling and searching too. Hope she comes back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by