Odd Chicken Behavior--do you know what it is?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kwyjibo, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Hi everyone! All our chicks are about 11 weeks old. We have one large Dominique--which we believe to be a hen---that goes around putting one foot on the back of the other chickens and then snuggling her head next to the others. Up until the past couple of weeks or so, she was active and the first one to the feed bowl or whatever goodies we brought in addition. Then, she just wanted to stay inside the coop. If I brought her out, she would go about foraging and everything would be OK. Now, she's doing this odd behavior. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    That's a new one! Is she the only Dominique?

3. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    No, there are two others. We have 3 gold-laced Polish, 4 Buckeyes, 4 Javas, and 3 Dominiques total. But she has been hanging out with one Java and one Polish that has a gimpy leg--she's the one my husband saw her doing this too and thought she was the only one, but then she went out of the coop and "spread the love" to others.

Thanks for replying [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have lots of dominiques. How is her weight holding up?

5. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    They seem to be doing alright. Why? Are Dominiques prone to eating problems?

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:The stepping on other birds mine do, males are usually the ones doing it. The business of pushing head against / under flock mates I associate with being cold. Thin birds have a harder time staying warm.

7. Kwyjibo

Jul 1, 2011
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    Thank you Centrarchid for your reply. A pecking order thing does sound more likely with the foot thing, but when it's directly followed by what appears to us to be snuggling, we don't know what to make of it. Maybe she's putting her face next to theirs to say "Hey, It's me, BobbyRae, I just stepped on you so that means I'm ahead of you in the pecking order now, Ok?" She does seem like a polite chicken......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by