1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd Chicken Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandon00733, Aug 21, 2016.

1. brandon00733

brandon00733 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2016
    Mid Florida
    My Coop
    Hi my girl is only 16 weeks and is by far our smallest of 8 with two being almost a month older and no eggs... she started doing this today and somebody mentioned she may be getting ready to lay an egg. I feel she may be still a bit young it almost seems to go along with her breathing and it's non stop. Do you think something may be wrong? Any ideas? She's eating, drinking, walking, and even perched up tonight for the night. She seems to be favoring her left side when she lays down... I've attached a video...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She sounds to me like she could have a respiratory problem. Sometimes they make that noise as they struggle to breathe. That would be my thoughts.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Huh...could be a respiratory thing.
    Does she do it all the time?
    Any swelling on face around eyes and nostril?
    She could have aspirated something too.
    Keep a close eye on her.

4. brandon00733

brandon00733 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2016
    Mid Florida
    My Coop
    She is doing really good today! There isn't anything swollen and she has never done this before... she is actually running around like nothing was wrong... I'm still keeping an eye on her though. Thank you for replying it was very scary!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by