Odd chicken behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewToFarming, Nov 14, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am a newbie to chickens and it might not be odd to others but I can't figure it out. I have silkie roos and they will either find a corner or go into one of the nests and get nestled down into the bedding making a strange noise. All of my roos will do this. The weird thing is my EE pullet that I don't believe is laying quite yet will follow them around while they do this and either stand very close to them or go and check out the area if the roos leave to find a new corner to do this behavior in. Then she again will go to where the roo is doing this and stand rel close. Any ideas what this behavior might be for the roos and for the EE pullet. I have seen this go on for awhile but I can't figure out what they are doing.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Sorry not a clue I am kinda new to chickens too I was hoping to see an answer.[​IMG]

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks!!! I just can't figure out what this ritual is every morning and it is driving me nuts! The weird thing is all the roos will do this and it seems only my EE pullet notices and follows them around. She should be close to laying but I didn't find any of those pretty eggs as of yet. She just turned 23 weeks old.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think the roosters are investing in their paternity by trying to impress pullet / hen with potential nesting options. Most of what you are seeing may not be quit natural since being done in small area with more birds than typical of natural social groups. Also birds themselves may be affected by past breeding selection.

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Most roos do that, and is a tipical behavior to stimulate the hens to make the nests in that place he chooses for them. Is the "male"part of the nesting parade.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are nest site shopping.

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking it could be but wasn't sure because none of the hens had listened to the poor boys after doing all that work! [​IMG] Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by