Odd Chicken Staying in Coop Alone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lahaskell, Oct 30, 2013.

1. lahaskell

lahaskell Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    I have realized over the past week when I pick eggs & feed & water my chickens that there is always 1 Americauna still inside pacing back & forth on the roosting bar. Even when I throw scraps & scratch out & the rest rush to it, she still stays in there. I noticed that the feathers around her butt look bad so I caught her last night & found that her vent was clear, but that she had a lot of poop built up & stuck to her butt. I pulled that off, but she went right back to trying to be alone. Should I be concerned there is something else wrong? It has been so cold & damp where I'm located that I'm concerned the chicken could be sick. I've got plenty of ventilation in my coop, but the atmosphere is just plain damp. I've been keeping a light on for them since the days are shorter, but have no supplemental heat source. Thank you!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The "pacing back and forth" on the perch and refusing to come for food when the others rush to it sounds like you have a bully situation. Maybe a few bullies ganging up on her. You'd need to observe to be sure. If she was just sick she'd probably sit still, but she's pacing. Typical behavior for a chook that's 'treed' by nasty flockmates who hunt her when she dares get of the perch. This sort of conflict avoidance can lead to starvation and death, so it should be sorted out asap. If you can verify that this is what's going on, suggestions for a solution will be in order. ;) Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Chooks4life said it perfectly. A sick chicken would most likely be hunkered down somewhere, moving as little as possible. Judging by her anxious behavior and energy, she's probably been chased up there.

4. Cole102

Cole102 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Canada, Ontario
    I have had the same problem before, if it is that the one is being bullied, take it out into an open space (if you have a run, that would be the best spot) and throw some feed out on the ground. once all the other chickens are there, let the one go and if it goes over to the feed and one or two chickens are chasing her away. there is your problem. in my case that was the problem, I took that one or two chickens and isolated them from the flock (put in separate runs, kept away from the flock for a few days) this gives that one chicken to find a higher place in the pecking order. when you put those "bully" chickens back with the flock (granted they have been kept away for 3-4 days) they should be at the bottom of the pecking order. this resolved the problem for me. no guarantee it will help for you but it helped me.

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Cole102 has outlined one of the most effective ways to restore peace within a flock when these circumstances occur. Best wishes with rearranging your chicken hierarchy for the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by