Odd Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jamieg, May 27, 2010.

1. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    I got my first chickens this week!!! I got 3 Rhode Island Red, 3 New Hampshires, 1 N H rooster and one odd ball. I believe it is a cornish rock? It is white, looks somewhat like a leghorn. She is half the size of the other girls and they have either avoided her altogether or pecked at her. She hasn't been injured at all, is able to eat and drink, but she is defientley left out of the group. They are all about ready to lay eggs in a week or so.

My question is that since I just got them on Monday, should I go back and get a couple more chickens like her? Would that help or just make things worse? Or should I take her back to the chicken farm she came from and introduce another New Hampshire to the group? I am just thinking that there still may be time to add to the flock?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Need a picure. [​IMG]
    I would try keeping her by herself for awhile. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I will enable the addiction so well-known here on BYC: go get 2 more of the same type of chickens as the outcast.

It is what *I* would do......

4. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info! Is there a good way to introduce a couple more birds? All the reds get along fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by