Odd combo of symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by red46, Nov 7, 2014.

1. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    I let the chickens have the run of the back yard. I found this one hen day before yesterday, on the ground and leaning to one side. The first thing I noticed was a completely bloody comb. Evidently the others got after her while she was down. I brought her in and put her in a cage with food and water. She drank a little bit, the first day but I think that's all.

Her tendency is to lay on one side or the other but the head is still up and she's alert, her eyes are bright but she keeps acting like she's trying to push out an egg.

She's one of the ones I've suspected all along that is not laying so now I'm confused. :) Her crop is empty and her feathers all look good but she's not standing. I first inspected her feet and legs and don't see anything wrong.

I didn't have time to tend to her but I'm about ready to fix her a warm bath and dose her with olive oil and probably oil her vent and feel around for an egg.

What's got me going is this lying on one side all the time. It doesn't seem to match up with an egg bound symptom. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    This was day 1. Her comb is healing.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    It could be Mareks or she could be lacking enough calcium in her body. Do you have any oyster shell around? See if she will eat that or another calcium source. Sometimes birds that free range will leave their laying food alone and they could be suffering from lack of calcium. Although, if she has never layed, she should be okay on calcium. It could either be that or she is suffering from Mareks, which, unfortunately there isn't anything to do but offer support like you are doing and see if she can pull out of it. Not likely, but I've read that some do sometimes.

3. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    It sounds like she is egg bound or laying internally. A bath and a vent check is in order! Be careful if she is eggbound you don not want to break the egg. You should feel an egg just inside the vent if she is, a warm bath and the oil will help. I am not sure what you coulc do if she is laying internally.

4. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    One other thing I would do is get a good vitamin/mineral supplement in her water just in case she is suffering from some deficiency. Feed stores/Tractor supplys carry that.

5. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    She seemed to be pulsing the first day but just now I got all ready for a bath but checked her over first. I felt all around....no egg and she seems to be favoring that right leg. She lays half on her side with the right leg extended.

After I laid her back down, I sat and watched and what seemed to be pulsing, I think is just her breathing. I felt all around her abdomen, felt down her legs and feet. I can't find anything. She's had a couple of small poops since yesterday and not as watery as that first day. Don't like feeling her breast bone, she's lost some weight.

I'm out of calcium and I'd run get some but I don't think that's the problem. She's talking to me and I hear her peck at the paper under her, now and then. I tried to get her to sit upright and it's just not happening. Back to the left side with that right leg out.

My first thoughts is a broken bone somewhere but I can't find anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Doesn't sound like merik to me because she's not groggy, is keeping you wings in. It's a total puzzle to me.

6. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    It's Mareks or some deficiency of sorts. From what I have read they will still be alert up til the last day with Mareks. If she has never layed, that could be another sign as sometimes the tumors affect the reproductive tract. So, I would put vitamin/mineral supplements in her water, make calcium available just in case, and keep her where she is at until she either improves or goes. That's about all I can think of doing. I've read that if it is Mareks, she will likely only last a week. Takes most of them quickly when it gets to this stage.

7. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    With the legs like that, I would have to agree that it is leaning towards Mareks. There are lots of threads out there. I would get as much info as possible because the rest of your flock is likely infected, if it is Mareks.

8. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Looks like I need to run down to the farm supply. I've got a package of vitamins and electrolytes but it looks like it got wet somehow and I'm afraid of mold.

Been going through the signs and symptoms. They have a small door they use for the henhouse about 2' off the ground with a ramp. I was having a skunk problem and that was my solution. :)

So she sure did as always, jumped up onto a platform, came down the ramp and was all the way out into the yard. She sure had the strength for that. If it's not Marek's, I'm thinking there's an injury I just can't find. It won't hurt to do as you said. We'll see. :(

9. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Just an FYI the first dozen hens came from a hatchery and were inoculated. Since then, there have been about 5 newly hatched hens AND the rooster I'm using that were not inoculated.

10. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Usually the vaccine works. I hope it is just an injury, maybe a sprain. Electrolytes are always a good idea no matter what the issue is, it is the first thing I do. It might not be a bad idea to give some to the rest of the flock JIC!! She could still be laying internally. Check for any mass in her abdomen. Hopefully she recovers soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by