Odd deaths - Graphic Photo

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA

I lost 2 12 week old Americanas today. I can't identify what killed them. I cant find bite marks. There is no signs of entry. Their heads look sucked on. Snake?

Attachments

• PXL_20210714_223059015.jpg
    PXL_20210714_223059015.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 60
I added a few photos above. Her neck was actually twisted around the fence and head inside the cage. Almost like the creature and bird were both inside.
That's even stranger.

It's entirely possible that this is the work of a desperate snake. Are there any puncture holes around the face of the hens? Venomous snakes use their fangs to push prey down their throats, so there should be small punctures along the head/neck where the fangs dug in to help swallow. The only venomous snake in Virginia large enough to attempt this would likely be a timber rattlesnake.

Personally, I think it's likely the work of a Northern pinesnake or an Eastern ratsnake. Ratsnake is much more likely considering how big they get.

I would guess a snake. I would put up some wire (hardware cloth) that a snake can't get through. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. Only once did I find a snake in one of the coops. Snakes will take eggs too. A couple of snakes, about a week apart attempted to go through my fence but came in contact with the electric wires and were electrocuted. Any other predator would get a good shock. If you do have a snake there may be after rats or mice that are drawing them in. Just a guess. Good luck...

I lost 2 12 week old Americanas today. I can't identify what killed them. I cant find bite marks. There is no signs of entry. Their heads look sucked on. Snake?
That is... incredibly odd.

I doubt it's a snake -- they typically won't try to eat items that much bigger than them, and especially won't kill two chickens. Is there a picture of the other hen?

Poor babies, I am so sorry for your loss. We've had similar experiences with snakes in the past. Just help your other birds recover from this incident with lots of love and help them have more positive experiences with treats and time.

I have 3 strands of electric wire around the run, but the first strand is about 5" off the ground. A snake would go right under. I don't have hardware cloth around the run. The coop has 1" hardware cloth outside the windows and 1/2" inside. Anywhere they roost near a window, I have a 3rd layer of 1/4" hardware cloth to keep coon hands out. The pop door is automatic, but obviously open during the day.

I have electric wires around my coops and pens and a couple of times I have had a snake go through the wires and touch the electric wires and get electrocuted. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom