Odd Egg Coloring

Piefoot

Chirping
Mar 11, 2019
Oregon
I'm just getting started raising quail. I have two young Coturnix hens that started laying a few weeks ago. For the most part, they're regular layers but I collected a couple of oddly colored eggs this week.

As pictured, one is a bronze color with darker spots and one is all white. Any ideas why these color variations suddenly popped up?

Attachments

• 20211013_125830.jpg
    20211013_125830.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 9
I'm just getting started raising quail. I have two young Coturnix hens that started laying a few weeks ago. For the most part, they're regular layers but I collected a couple of oddly colored eggs this week.

As pictured, one is a bronze color with darker spots and one is all white. Any ideas why these color variations suddenly popped up?
When birds first start laying, you’ll often see a great variation in appearance as the hens get into the groove. The white egg missed the paint job, it was probably the result of her being startled and popping it out early. The bronze one has heavy bloom, and it’s very common in young layers who are just starting out. Usually they will regulate to all look very similar from the same hen as she gains experience.

Back
Top Bottom