Odd egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max13077, Jan 1, 2011.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have been perplexing me of late with their odd egg laying patterns. Sometimes for a couple weeks there will only be an egg a day, sometimes none. Others like today there were 9, yesterday 8. There's no additional lighting in the coop. I figure I'll leave them to their natural devices. I've fed them exactly the same. I have 10 hens between 1 and 3 years old(2 BO's, 1 SLW, 2 BC, 1 SF, 1 DL, 2 DB, one mutt) and Ralph the roo. Weather has been fairly consistent although it's been warmer the last couple of days. I'm sure that had something to do with the 9 and 8 today and yesterday. But there would be swings like that when there highs in the teens and lows around 0.

Any insight? [​IMG] Just curious, Thanks!

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm as perplexed. We had winds and wind chills down below zero here for a few weeks. Egg production was going strong. 6 to 8 eggs a day from 11 layers...then it warmed up and got rainy for the last couple of days. We've been 3, 4 and 4 the last three days. Same feed, sme treats, only thing changed is the weather. I don't supplement w/lighting either. My chickens are 8 mths and 10 mths old...

All I can say is that I'm gonna keep feeding them as usual and wait and see. Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by