1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd egg *pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have three welsummer hens (hatchery) and one of them laying. She started laying every other day for about 1.5 weeks and then took a week off. This is the first egg (assuming the same hen) after her break. I did clean it off in that it did seem to have some clear inside stuff... out. It is dry here and the darkest area is a little reddish. Every part of it is hard though. What gives?
    [​IMG]

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    It looks like paper mache. Are you a crafter? [​IMG]

Deb

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    [​IMG] I have no idea all I can say is wow !!!

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I have found some like that from my leghorns. They were white but this one really is cool looking. I think it is just amazing that they can produce an egg a day anyway let alone one like this. I always have plenty of oyster shell for them at all times and still get one like that every now and then. Can't wait for someone to answer so I will know what causes this also. [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've had those before, and I BELIEVE that it is a membrane from another egg that didn't fully develop & was laid over the top of a fully developed egg. I could be wrong, though!

6. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Wow, that is really neat looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by