Odd egg(s)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Aug 21, 2011.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Was getting three lovely eggs per day from my hens. Over the last few days I am only finding one egg. Possibly two of them are laying when they are let out to free range. But this morning I found a REALLY odd looking egg. It actually was shaped like a tiny gourd. The shell seemed normal, just the shape and size was strange. Plus there was a broken egg, which looked like it had a rubbery shell. They have oyster shells free choice, and I have seen them eating them. Anything else I could do? They are acting perfectly normal, active, alert, etc. Weather has been consistent lately, routine the same as usual. What is up???? Any guesses?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How old are they? If they have recently started laying, this could be due to that.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    They are all several years old. Not sure of exact ages. They are all adoptees from an animal shelter. Maybe age related. Hope not. I just lost a beloved guinea pig and have an aging rabbit and an aging horse. Sheesh, hope the ducks are okay for a while. This "gentlewoman farmer" thing is tough sometimes...............................[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by