odd egg shape

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southernsibe, Dec 19, 2007.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    One of my silkies had an egg today that was a very odd shape. I inadvertently disturbed her when she was laying so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. It looked sort of wrinkled, or like it was really thick on one end and thin on the other. Unfortunately, the egg got broken before I got a chance to take a picture. Any ideas? She hasn't been laying very long so I don't know if that has any thing to do with it either.
    Thanks Rachel

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Plenty of calcium in the diet will usually solve the egg shell problem. I choose to dry and crush my egg shells and then add to the oyster shell feeder...seems to make life full circle with good results. Sometimes hens need enough deficiency in their systems before they really consume the needed calcium, that they really love once it happens and keeping the oyster shell feeder becomes the norm. Good Luck.

bigzio

3. southernsibe

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    That is part of the oddity to me, no one else has done anything odd, and they have free choice oyster shell. Any other thoughts out there?
    Thanks
    Rachel

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    How long have your chickens been laying? I know my girls (only laying for the last month or so) throw out an occasional odd egg, even though they have plenty of oyster available. If they just started, their egg-mechanisms could still be gearing up.. (don't you love my official terminology?)

Meghan

5. southernsibe

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    This hen has not been laying long at all, maybe a month. I thought perhaps it was because I interrupted her, felt bad about that.

6. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Is it her first egg? If yes, then it's normal for it to have an odd shape. But if not, giving her calcium, like crushed oyster or egg shells, might do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by