1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trish1974, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    I have a 21 week old golden comet pullet that started laying last Thursday, and has laid an egg every day since. Today the egg she laid has these weird bumps all over the shell, similar to dried paint spots. They are the same color as the egg and do not flake off. Is this common for new layers, or is it an indication she may be getting too much or not enough of a specific nutrient?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    They look a little like calcium deposits on the egg or bits of extra shell. As your girls are new layers some egg deformities can occur until they get their egg laying machines in full working order. If they are acting normal and healthy I would not be too worried. Here is an article that I'm sure you will find helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Not uncommon for hens of any age. Nothing to worry about.

4. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    Thank you both! That was a great article Yorkshire Coop. I'm saving it for future reference!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not too uncommon...I have had few who lay eggs with little glitches like that regularly and/or consistently.
    It's not always some horrible disease or condition as that article implies.
    Great pics BTW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by