Odd egg yolk pics needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I am looking for pics of a mottled egg yolk and a blue-green egg yolk (natural, not dyed). If any of you have one I can use would you please post it here, or send it to me via PM. It's too illustrate an article on egg quality problems. Thanks!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I never had one or you know I woulda taken a pic! Whats up with that colored yolk? I have seen a white yolk though, they are quite interesting!

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Interesting. I looked it up and it says they are caused by cottonseed oil in their feed - which is also found in cooking oils and butter. I hope I don't ever see one, but if I do, I'll be sure to take a picture.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've never seen any of either. Kelly, yes, cottonseed oil and ingestion of the weed "Shepard's Purse" causes blue-green yolks and I have yet to confirm this, but some people say if their chickens eat raw acorns their yolks are a greenish colour.

Sally, no that's not it. Gosh, those yolks look awful, poor hen!

Article's here, if anyone wants to see: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I know! what do you think caused that? I think she said they were fresh eggs no smell? but eeeewwwww gag

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by