odd egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by longtall, Mar 14, 2019.

1. longtall

longtall Hatching

Jul 6, 2018
    I have four Plymouth Rocks that were born in the last week in July of 2018. They have been laying since late December into January. And been getting four eggs a day for the last six weeks. The last hen to start laying, has been laying an odd egg compared to the others. They are longer and narrower, with a rough/wavy texture. Sometimes alittle spotted and then somedays are smoother then others. Also the the egg shells are fragile then others. Online i read this could be a number of things from the hen needs time to sort out her stuff, to diseases, to needing more calcium. Is there a way to determine which one it is?

Attached Files:

Steam Powered Chicken likes this.
  2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language.

Nov 26, 2018
    Eastern Alabama
    My Coop
    Probably a first layer. Nothing to worry about. It took my chickens about 2 weeks to make big, wonderful eggs. You can see which one lays that egg by watching them lay it, take the chicken and see if anything is wrong. You could start figuring out which one it is by taking eggshells and once you eat the yolks put them in the chicken bucket. If the eggs are still fragile you can just wait 2 weeks or so and if they are still fragile and strange looking every day it's most likely a disease.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Except for supplementing calcium, there's nothing you can really do unless a chicken presents symptoms other than laying odd eggs. You could cull the chicken and send her in for an autopsy, but that seems an extreme step to take.

I had a hen lay eggs that looked much like those nearly all winter after coming out of moult (She was 2-3 years old) and then suddenly resume normal lay in the spring. No idea what was wrong.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  4. longtall

longtall Hatching

Jul 6, 2018
    I have added a calcium supplement in their food and sprinkle a little on their daily snack I give for the
    last three days. I guess only time will tell

5. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    I thought wrinkly eggs were a sign of infectious bronchitis ?

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    Chickens of the same breed, same mother even, can lay "different" eggs. I have 6 chickens of the same breed, all received at the same time. 2 hens lay eggs that have a softer shell, 1 hen lays a HUGE egg, and 2 lay eggs with really hard shells - they all eat the same food and treats. 1 hen laid eggs with small meat spots for her first 2 months. I had one that laid a long thin egg, so tall it wouldn't allow the egg carton to close. the eggs were teh same weight as the other eggs. DH can pick around the softer shells and always leaves the meat spot ones for me... He has his favorite egg-layer - the yolks are thicker, stand up taller and are a richer color.

It all comes down to how the egg factory works - not all eggs are going to be identical. If you have ever been to an egg farm, you will understand why all the eggs in the store seem identical... anything not "standard" is diverted to other uses.

aart and staceyj like this.
  7. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    So I've heard. But either the disease went into remission, or wrinkly eggs can be caused by other things because my production red that laid eggs like those never showed any signs of IB, and, as already said, stopped laying them.

R2elk likes this.
  8. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    All true

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wrinkly or 'corrugated' eggs can be caused by disease,
    even with no symptoms showing it still could affect shell gland.

The long skinny 'torpedo' eggs may just be how she rolls,
    have had a few of those, they don't hatch well or fit in the cartons.

staceyj likes this.
  10. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    My two welsummers have always laid eggs that are elongated. Right from the start. Lol. They are quick on the nest too.
    They suffer from FOMO in a big way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: