Odd eyes in chicks

Gayleyy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Kentucky
I have hatched two groups of BYM and each hatch two were yellow with spots. Cute! Especially since pretty much all the rest are black or dark grey. I was certain they would be white with black spots as their first feathers were just that. Now the first two are 6.5 weeks old my favorite is no longer white with black spots, he is light grey with black spots and a bit of white. So pretty! Anyhow! I was holding him and taking a zillion pics and I realized one eye is two colors. I was instantly worried about Mareks. I looked closely and the pupil is totally normal, there is no cloudiness etc. He definetly sees very well out of that eye too! I did a little Google searching and dear goodness it is nearly impossible to get a straight answer. From what I have found yes chickens can have heterochromia and it does not mean they are sick or anything bad. The other odd thing about these four little chicks is two have one eye that way, one from each hatch and all four have green eyes. I was told that green eyes meant unhealthy chickens, that there are only five eye colors and anything different was not good. I did a little Google search on that as well. Turns out lots of people have chickens with green eyes, it is not common, but it happens especially in BYM. What do y'all think? Do you think there is something wrong with them genetically maybe? I would not want to continue the genes if there is something wrong. They all act completely normal, appear completely healthy and have been growing at the same rate as the others.

Baby daddy is what was sold as a Midnight Majesty Maran (I do not think he is though)
Moms could be the same as daddy, mystic onyx or rambler (why I do not buy TSC chicks anymore!), sapphire gem, easter egger, olive egger, golden comet, or RIR.

Attachments

• DEC116B2-8F17-4C60-BB57-A40D9D523A9C.png
    DEC116B2-8F17-4C60-BB57-A40D9D523A9C.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 39
  • C3A3F179-AE47-4D73-98E0-37401EF0A3F0.jpeg
    C3A3F179-AE47-4D73-98E0-37401EF0A3F0.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 12
  • A9D207DD-1D63-46B2-9F8D-99B6DCB6787D.jpeg
    A9D207DD-1D63-46B2-9F8D-99B6DCB6787D.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 10
I have hatched two groups of BYM and each hatch two were yellow with spots. Cute! Especially since pretty much all the rest are black or dark grey. I was certain they would be white with black spots as their first feathers were just that. Now the first two are 6.5 weeks old my favorite is no longer white with black spots, he is light grey with black spots and a bit of white. So pretty! Anyhow! I was holding him and taking a zillion pics and I realized one eye is two colors. I was instantly worried about Mareks. I looked closely and the pupil is totally normal, there is no cloudiness etc. He definetly sees very well out of that eye too! I did a little Google searching and dear goodness it is nearly impossible to get a straight answer. From what I have found yes chickens can have heterochromia and it does not mean they are sick or anything bad. The other odd thing about these four little chicks is two have one eye that way, one from each hatch and all four have green eyes. I was told that green eyes meant unhealthy chickens, that there are only five eye colors and anything different was not good. I did a little Google search on that as well. Turns out lots of people have chickens with green eyes, it is not common, but it happens especially in BYM. What do y'all think? Do you think there is something wrong with them genetically maybe? I would not want to continue the genes if there is something wrong. They all act completely normal, appear completely healthy and have been growing at the same rate as the others.

Baby daddy is what was sold as a Midnight Majesty Maran (I do not think he is though)
Moms could be the same as daddy, mystic onyx or rambler (why I do not buy TSC chicks anymore!), sapphire gem, easter egger, olive egger, golden comet, or RIR.
Could just be heatrocroma, or more likely, it could be Marek's. Keep an eye on them.

That looks like a a genetic trait to me.

Back
Top Bottom