odd feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roadrunner, Oct 1, 2007.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2007
    South Dakota
    I hope i'm putting this in the right place.[​IMG]
    In July my silkie, buff Orph, and a black banty hen, hatched 17 out of 20 eggs.
    I noticed that there feet are all really odd, some of them have a toe growing out of a toe, or they'll have two toe nails growing out of one toe, just crazy looking. But it doesn't seen to be bothering them. They walk just fine.
    Im just wondering why there feet are so odd, the silkie hen has crazy toe nails. But the other two hens feet look normal.
    Any ideas?[​IMG]

Roadrunner

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Its a genetic thing and can be pretty common. Are these mix breed birds?

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Silkies are supposed to have an extra toe...so that is normal. Sometimes, do to bad breeding or whatever they can have tow toenails growing out of the same toes, rather then an entire other toe.

Wanted to add... In my experience anything crossed with Silkie will have extra toes, too, so you must have a very fertile Silkie roo somewhere. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I've had a silkie roo from a hatchery have 6 toes on each foot, with the extra (meaning 6th) on one foot be out the side of the normal 5th, and the extra toe on the other side just be a knob of skin with a nail growing out between his 5th and back toe. Anything can happen with silkie toes!

5. roadrunner

roadrunner Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2007
    South Dakota
    Ya ive noticed with my silkie hen toenails are just so long.
    And i've been wondering if anyone trims there silkies toenails? If so how is that possible?
    My silkie is sweet but i still don't think she'll put up with me doing that to her.

6. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    No worrys the silkie has a extra toe which most people do not notice or know since they are not a aware of the breeds standards there thumb toe should actrually for another toe as well hence the extra nail [​IMG] also you can clip there nails will a dog nail clipper for some breeds need there nails clipped just not to short or you will make them bleed just like any other animal nail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by